Sunday, April 10, 2005

 

Culture of Hope

After a 2 week break, the practice for the culture festival resumes. All I had ringing in my mind was: Make a difference in their lives.

Honestly, why do people bother?

Early in the morning, and Sunday for that matter, over a hundred young people, fresh from their examinations gathered together to learn a dance. Who are they dancing for? They are definitely not doing it for the money for they will not be paid. In fact, they have to pay for the props and costumes out of their own pockets. They don’t know who will be watching them. They just know that they want to put up the best show they can. These youthful spirits are noble. Would you do what they did?

Some of them even traveled all the way from Boon Lay to Tampines just for the 3 hours session. When I thought of it, I cannot help feeling guilty that I can afford to “snooze” my alarm clock a couple of times before I’m fully awake.

Make a difference in their lives.

It is strange that this is also one of the slogans of the teaching profession. But indeed, as the first voice they hear on Sunday mornings, it is really up to me to set their tempo for the rest of the day.

They join the cultural festival not because of the love of the art of dancing. None of us is a professional dancer. But it is because each one of us is seeking something. We seek to realize our potential. To learn that we have to ability of create something beautiful together and to achieve a higher level of aesthetical value.

What exactly is the culture in this Youth Cultural Festival?

It is the culture of hope. With all the unhappiness around us, we want to spread the message that with hope, every situation is a joyful voyage. That is the way of the youthful heart.

I cannot fail. I have to lead them to what they seek. I have to make sure that every single one of the participants grows in their lives. I have to make a difference in their lives. The future of humanism demands it. It doesn’t matter that I’d not fully recovered from the food poisoning that I’d suffered. It doesn’t matter that I’m having trouble keeping up with the lesson plans I have to prepare for the practicum. It doesn’t matter that I barely get enough sleep each night. I cannot fail them.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home