Thursday, April 14, 2005

 

Obesity

SALINE implants, known for their breast-enhancing function, are now being used to tuck in one's tummy.

A new method of dealing with obesity here, the endoscopic intra-gastric balloon procedure involves inserting a silicone balloon, which is then inflated with saline into the stomach of the patient, thereby curbing the desire to eat.

The balloon is removed after six months using the same method as the insertion — through the patient's mouth.


- Source: http://www.todayonline.com/


After discussing on physical fitness previously, I thought I might follow up with the topic of obesity. With a relatively good life, with good food and good sleep nightly, a large demographic of the young people in this country faces the problem of obesity.

Basically, obesity is a condition where your body mass is too much for your height. It is usually caused by eating more food than required by the body or by eating excessive amount of food high in sugar and fats. But seriously, with Singapore being the food paradise that it is, how to resist those all those mouth-watering food.

And then somebody came up with the idea of inserting a balloon into the stomach to control the amount that we eat.

But come on! Our stomachs are the size they are for a reason.

The elders have a saying: 能吃是福

By altering our physically artificial so that we may eat lesser seems debilitating to me. Haven’t we been told often that we have to let our minds take control over our bodies? Adding a balloon into our stomach is telling our bodies to cheat on our mind. No?

Diet should be achieved the healthy way; by sheer determination to eat less and exercise more. But of course I’m saying all these because I had just lost a lot of weight recently and am rather ‘yaya’ about it. Hmm… actually I lost weight in the unhealthiest method – by falling sick. I really couldn’t eat much now. But I still need to increase my efforts in exercising.

I will not put a balloon down my mouth. That is just so eek! I have better use of silicone.

But then again, I am NOT obese. So this isn’t really my problem. I’m just ranting for the sake of it. And maybe because I haven’t had lunch and is thinking that I’m seriously lacking in exercise.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home