Friday, May 06, 2005

 

爱唱歌的小男孩

Days of “soaking” in 新谣 and picking up guitar again and another KTV session today, I have decided to make a confession on this blog. There are people who wondered why I needed to exaggerate all my singing efforts. And the truth is: I really have no choice because I want to enjoy my singing. I cannot hear music, I can only feel it.

As a continuation from some aspect about me revealed in my previous post, I have a slight hearing problem. No, I am not deaf. But I suffer from a condition known as tone-deaf in my left ear and slightly, but not as serious on the right. That is, I cannot differentiate C or D or E or F. I can only hear a sound. It was this reason that I was always rejected from joining choirs when I applied.

To those who have no idea what tone-deaf is...

For example, I can hear the DO RE MI FA SO LA TI individually, but DO-RE and DO-MI will sound the same to me. Ear-phones cause pain to my ears and I get unnatural ringing sound periodically.

Hence, to a music lover, this handicap is no different from a cripple who loves to run or a tuberculosis patient who loves to swim. This little secret remains one of my most painful. But I will not lose heart. I take courage from man like Beethoven. And that is also why Ode to Joy have the ability to drive me to tears.

Back to my guitar practice.

爱唱歌的小男孩

Qing mentioned that those who pay attention to the lyrics of a song when hearing it for the first time are more "Art" than "Science". But I pay attention to the lyrics first, even though I perceive myself as a computer geek; mainly because melody doesn’t agree with me. But once I catch a melody I like, I will devour it.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home