Thursday, September 29, 2005

 

Who am I?

There was a time, when asked who one was; the average man will call out the names of his families or the community he belongs. Post-industrialization society had changed. Once, the household was the productive unit of society. We learned, we grown, we survived in it. But today, the household is a consumption unit. We go out to work; we bring home our produces and spent it on the home. Thus materialism is born.

Quite unfortunate if you asked me.

But the fact is that this social change is irreversible. The question is: how do we find our identity in this new whole order? Where once we had a life, now we have two, a private one and a separate one which are totally unrelated to each other.

When asked who I am, I don’t cite my community anymore. I cite my individual beliefs, my individual affiliations, my individual achievements. Individualism is here. Is it healthy? I don’t know. I only know we have to constantly strive to identify ourselves where once, my identity is assured by our communities. We are constantly evaluated now. It’s tiring. Depression cases are up. What can I do?

Comments:
I have to agree with the part where we are being constantly evulated.

I dunno whether we are what people make us out to be, or we are what we make ourselves out to be. you get what i mean, if you dont nvm.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home