Saturday, September 24, 2005

 

Writing...

I remembered loving to write. And composition was my favorite activity in primary school. I wondered why. But as I reflect upon it now, I seemed to understand now that I wanted power. And the power to create stories is one of the most powerful things a child can ever do. The potential is limitless.

I devoured books with an appetite that astonished many. Sometimes even myself. But I love literature. I can appreciate the art, but fundamentally, I crave for the power of written words. And as my desire grew, I started to harbor dreams of becoming a writer.

Alas, that dream took its first blow when I was in secondary school. I wanted so much to study literature. My school had offered the English Language and English Literature as different subjects. I remembered excelling in Literature but doing badly in English. I was made to drop Literature. I was angry.

But I did not lose hope; I switch my attention to the Chinese Language. And I scored distinctions in my Chinese. My essays were much appreciated by my Chinese Teachers. But eventually, I learnt that in Singapore, only the Chinese Teachers appreciate good Chinese essays.

It was then that I turned my attention to Mathematics. Weird? Not to me. I read the symbols of mathematics like a language. It intrigued me. Logically analysis of number patterns and behaviors aroused me. And I ended up as a Mathematic Teacher.

But still, my dreams of writing lingers. And then there was blogging. And I blog. It became an avenue for me to express my literacy creations. I desire that power of words again. But over time, I evolved. I recognized clearly that I may never achieve the linguistic ability to become a true novelist. But a writer need not always be a novelist as I thought in my younger years.

I take heart from literature giants such as Leo Tolstoy and Victor Hugo and decided that the only writing worthy of the effort that I exert must contain moralistic value. Hence, I write to encourage, not only the readers, but myself. To reflect, recollect and revolute my being and thought processes. I write to inspire and to create the more powerful of power, that of the power of hope. And so I try to write to bring happiness. And I write on regardless of language artistry. That is noble writing.

“I have profound reverence for you, I would never dare treat you with disparagement or arrogance. Why? Because you are all practicing the bodhisattva way and are certain to attain Buddhahood.” ~ Bodhisattva Never Disparaging

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home