Monday, January 09, 2006

 

A Journey Back in Time

I had always enjoyed the study of philosophies and religions. I believed that one of the greatest joys of humanity is the exploration of our spirituality. And this week, I began my spiritual journey for the year.

I last read the bible when I was in the JC. Having been educated in mission schools in my younger days, I was already rather familiar with the stories within. But I was young then. It is true that as we mature, re-reading the same materials brings about different sensation.

I remembered being challenged to read the bible again when I was an undergrad. But the September 11 incident happened and I chose to study the Koran instead. I still have my copy of Koran with me. It was one of my favorite books. But this year, I decided to re-read the bible.

I had just completed the first book on Genesis. It did bring new insights and perspectives on the Garden of Eden and the well-loved story on Noah and his Ark. Incidentally, I had also caught an interesting documentary exploring the legends and myth behind the adventures of Moses. This is going to be a good month for studying.

Unlike the teachings of the People of the Books, Buddhism does not have a definitive text that claimed to be absolute. One of the main reasons is because the focus on Buddhism is not on definitions. It is less concern on the cause of our world, but rather, it is focused entirely on the eradication of human sufferings.

At the founding of Buddhism, Brahmanism that had until then dominated Indian spiritual life had grown rigid and formalized. One of the best examples of this is the chaste system which many people who read about ancient Indian are very familiar with. There was too much importance attached to ceremonies that the inner cultivation of the self is neglected. The earliest Buddhist text, which formed the bulk of Hinayana Buddhism rose as a powerful protest to this trend.

“People’s nobility is determined not by the level of their birth, but their actions.”

However, the emphasis on self-reliance ultimately became distorted as well. The preoccupation with strict practice resulted in exaggerated importance on those who entered monastic life. This led the clergy into developing a condescending attitude towards the laity, causing an unhealthy divide.

Mahayana Buddhism then arose to counter such discriminatory views in order to revive the humanism which Shakyamuni originally espoused. This school placed the emphasis on the seeking spirit for the way or enlightenment. However, excessive emphasis of this point tended to promote the view that Buddhism is too difficult for ordinary people to practice. It was at this time that incredible metaphors of Buddhas with supernatural abilities are found in the literature. This resulted in the Lotus Sutra being the most bizarre of them all. However, implicitly embedded in the depths of the Lotus Sutra, is the core of the philosophy known as Buddhism.

I should share on that another time. For now, my readings on the history of the Christian faith triggered my own rumblings of the history of Buddhism. Do pardon me on that account.

Happy Hari Raya Haji!!!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home