Tuesday, August 08, 2006

 

Mr David Gemmell

This entry is dedicated in memory of Mr David Gemmell, who passed away on the 28 July 2006 at the age of 57. He was, and always will be, one of my favorite authors.

I first encountered Mr Gemmell’s book when I was hunting for a book to read during my NS time. It was by accident really. It was a period of my life where I really read a lot. Besides, I was just lonely NS boy then. Besides doing army stuff in camp, I only have my books. So it was that I picked a book from the “Just Returned” section of the library. And the rest is history.

Books after books written by him were devoured by me as I hunted all the libraries in Singapore for his books. I was addicted. But being the miserly guy that I am, I never bought any of his books, instead, always waiting for some collectors’ edition to arrive. There were some omnibus that was published, but I couldn’t get my hands of them… yet.

Last Friday, I finally bought my own copy of his book. His latest, entitled “Lord of the Silver Bow”. It was to be the first of a trilogy. But I guessed this trilogy will never be finished now.

I’m glad I bought the book.

Thank thee, Mr Gemmell, for hours of entertainment and a lifetime of inspiration.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home